Antitrust issues arise in virtually every industry. The increase in criminal penalties for price fixing and other antitrust violations, and the never-ending stream of treble damages litigation and government investigations, make it increasingly important for all businesses, regardless of size, to work within the bounds of the antitrust laws.
Nelson Mullins lawyers translate esoteric concepts into practical guidance to help clients deal with issues such as:
- Relationships with competitors, including trade associations, group purchasing organizations, and healthcare provider networks
- Manufacturing and distribution issues, including exclusive contracts, franchising, and dealer terminations
- Mergers, acquisitions, and joint ventures
- Hart-Scott-Rodino notification filings prior to mergers
- Intellectual property licensing
- Pricing issues, including resale price maintenance and price discrimination claims under the Robinson-Patman Act; and
- Medical staff privileges and other healthcare related issues.
Nelson Mullins has handled antitrust issues in numerous industries, including apparel, automotive, chemicals, healthcare (hospitals, physicians and healthcare provider networks), insurance, pharmaceuticals, sales, and vitamins. The firm strives to help clients avoid the expense and problems associated with antitrust litigation, and firm attorneys respond promptly when clients need immediate assistance via telephone consultation or a more formal product such as a written analysis, an antitrust compliance program, or an employee training session.
In addition to pre-litigation counseling and litigating civil antitrust matters, Nelson Mullins is also experienced in criminal antitrust matters and in government investigations involving the U.S. Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission, and various state attorneys general. When litigation does arise, clients rely on Nelson Mullins attorneys to represent them in antitrust cases in state and federal courts.
Nelson Mullins attorneys frequently speak on antitrust issues and participate in the Antitrust Sections of the American Bar Association and the North Carolina Bar Association. One firm attorney is a former chairwoman of the Antitrust and Trade Regulation Section of the North Carolina Bar Association and was one of only 19 attorneys, and the only female attorney, named to the Legal Elite for Antitrust Law by Business North Carolina Magazine in January 2004.
For additional information on the Antitrust Practice at Nelson Mullins, contact Denise M. Gunter at 800.237.2000 or at Denise.Gunter@nelsonmullins.com.