Technical advances and evolving regulatory models have forced electric, natural gas and telecommunication companies to reinvent themselves on a regular basis. As a result, regulated industries need legal counsel with broad technical and regulatory experience.
Nelson Mullins attorneys have many years of experience in representing electric, natural gas and telecommunication companies in connection with both their historically regulated businesses and their new unregulated business ventures. One Nelson Mullins attorney serves as a director and general counsel to a billion-dollar public utility whose stock is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and Firm attorneys have represented both natural gas and telecommunication companies during the deregulation of their industries. Nelson Mullins attorneys have been guest speakers on various utility-related topics throughout the United States, and their diverse backgrounds enable them to help clients respond to challenges and new opportunities in these historically regulated industries.
Nelson Mullins has had success in representing current providers, new competitors and large consumers of utility services including representation and advice to clients:
- in connection with the formation and the public and private financing of new business units, joint ventures and business combinations to take advantage of new opportunities made available by technical advances and changing regulations;
- in obtaining regulatory approvals at the state and federal levels in connection with the restructuring of their existing businesses and the formation of new business ventures;
- in their legislative efforts, administrative proceedings and civil litigation to interpret new legislation;
- in business conflicts in the evolving regulatory environment;
- in solving strategic challenges and complex business issues;
- with their transaction and litigation needs; and
- in connection with their licensing, intellectual property and marketing needs.